staying grounded.

i seem to have a more difficult time staying centered during the holidays.  lately it's been more challenging due to the planning of significant and transformative future events.
here are some things i always rely on to transport me back to the present moment:

•mugs of piping hot tea
•purring cats
•long walks
•cooking a hearty vegetarian meal
•being consciously still and quiet
really looking
•taking photographs
•trips to the library
•quiet dinners with adam

what are your strategies for staying present?

4 comments:

  1. These are exactly the things that I do...and I would add, deep, focused breathing, with intention. :)

    MEINVA

    ReplyDelete
  2. making my 3 year old niece's preschool christmas program a priority over all of the other committments nagging at me does wonders for the spirit! I am also going to a midnight christmas eve catholic mass for the first time ever because it is important to a friend..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @corin
    i'm not catholic, but i have been to midnight christmas mass before. it's a really beautiful experience (and a very nice thing to do for your friend).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has taken me a long time to answer this great question. But as I sit and mindfully enjoy each bite of cucumber, or avocado, or grape tomato on my plate, the answer arrives: I eat mindfully. :) I pay attention to what I am doing as I select a morsel, appreciate its texture and color, and then, its flavor!

    ReplyDelete

you got somethin' to say?